Photo: USS Lassen won the 2017 Fleet Week Regatta!
Notice of Race
6th Annual Fleet Week Regatta
Saturday, May 23, 2020
Hosted by the Manhattan Yacht Club
Sponsored by the New York Harbor Sailing Foundation & the New York Council, Navy League
1. Name of Event: The name of the event is the ”Fleet Week Regatta.”
2. Purpose of Event: The purpose of the event is to extend Fleet Week beyond the piers, to create a friendly competition among participating ships, and to connect sea service personnel with the local sailing community.
3. Rules: The regatta will be raced according to the International Racing Rules of Sailing as adopted by US Sailing, and the Sailing Instructions.
4. Entries: Each ship participating in Fleet Week will be allocated two boats for the Regatta. Each boat will be crewed by 4 or 5 sea service personnel (8 to 10 people total) from that ship. An MYC skipper will be in charge of each boat at all times. But the MYC skipper will solicit guidance and advice from the sea service personnel on where to go.
5. Yachts & Equipment: This regatta will be raced on identical J/24 sailboats provided by MYC and will include all sails, , life jackets and racing equipment. No spinnakers will be used.
6. Schedule: Saturday, May 23, 2020
- 1230-1300 – Teams arrive at the MYC clubhouse at the corner or Van Vorst & Dudley Streets in Jersey City, NJ. Bring clothes suitable for racing, not just dress whites.
- 1300 – Boat draw, rig the boats & Skipper’s Meeting
- 1415 – Start Race 1, Race 2 will begin immediately after Race 1
- 1600 – Return to dock and derig boats
- 1600-1700 – Hot dogs, beverages and Awards Presentation
7. Racing Area: Races will be held in New York Harbor. All races will start and finish from the Honorable William Wall, Manhattan Yacht Club’s floating clubhouse.
8. Courses: Courses will be windward-leeward around marks set by the Race Committee.
9. Scoring, Prizes & Food: Up to two races will be held. The Low Point Scoring System will be used. Prizes will be awarded to the top three teams. Hot dogs and beverages will be served at the Awards Ceremony.
10. The Fleet Week Perpetual Cup: The Fleet Week Perpetual Cup will be presented to the winning ship on Sunday, the day after the regatta. The Race Committee will make arrangements with the CO of the winning ship for this presentation. The winning ship may keep the Cup until the next regatta.
For more information, contact Manhattan Yacht Club at email@example.com or 212-786-3323.