The first Lady Liberty Regatta was held at Manhattan Yacht Club in 1989. The original event name was the “Betsy Ross Bowl” and it was held in conjunction with Fleet Week. In 2019, MYC will relaunch this great tradition of women teams racing in front of one of the world’s most famous icons, the Statue of Liberty.
Notice of Race
Saturday & Sunday, June 8 & 9, 2019
Hosted by the Manhattan Yacht Club & sponsored by the New York Harbor Sailing Foundation
1. Purpose of Event: The purpose of the event is to support and promote amatuer women’s sailing in the United States by bringing together top women sailors.
2. Host of the Event: The host of the event is Manhattan Yacht Club.
3. Sponsor of the Event: The sponsor of the event is the New York Harbor Sailing Foundation. The Foundation’s mission is to foster and promote amateur sailing of national and international importance in New York Harbor.
4. History of Event: The first Lady Liberty Regatta was organized in 1989.
5. Entries: Any team of US women sailors can apply to participate. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
6. Rules: The regatta will be raced according to the International Racing Rules of Sailing as adopted by US Sailing and modified by the Sailing Instructions.
7. Yachts & Equipment: This regatta will be raced on identical J/24 sailboats provided by Manhattan Yacht Club. The mainsails, genoas and jibs, plus sheets and all other equipment except spinnakers will be provided. Teams may bring their own J/24 Class spinnakers. No other equipment may be brought aboard. Teams will rotate boats after each race.
8. Schedule of Events:
Friday, June 7, 2019 (optional)
1000 – 1600 – Practice sailing permitted in the harbor.
1600 – Practice Race
Saturday, June 8, 2019
1100 – Race 1 followed by Races 2 & 3
Sunday, June 9, 2019
1100 – Race 4 followed by Races 5 & 6
9. Racing Area: Races will be held in New York Harbor. All races will start and finish from the Honorable William Wall, Manhattan Yacht Club’s floating clubhouse anchored north of Ellis Island.
10. Courses: Courses will be windward-leeward. Inflatable marks will be set by Race Committee. Because the starting location is fixed, races may start upwind or downwind.
11. Crew: This is an amateur event for women sailors. Unlimited crew substitution of similar weight is allowed during the regatta.
12. Entry Fee: The entry fee is $350 which covers the cost of the boat charter.
13. Damage Deposit: There is a $500 damage deposit which will be refunded to teams at the end of the regatta unless your team causes damage to one of the J/24 sailboats.
14. Scoring: The Low Point Scoring System will be used. If 5 or more races are completed, each team may discard one race.
15. Prizes: Prizes will be awarded to the top five teams.
For more information, please email Manhattan Yacht Club at email@example.com or call 212-786-3323
The Lady Liberty Regatta would like to thank the following sponsors and the Lady Liberty Regatta Honor Roll, whose generous support helped make this event possible: